Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First treatment complete!

I left the house today at 7:50 am and didn't get home until 4 pm!  I never thought sitting in a recliner would be so exhausting!  I was doing really well until I had to get stuck three times for my IV and then again to get my blood drawn.  I admit I felt sorry for myself for a few minutes after that, and well deservedly.  The treatment area is a large room with about 12 recliners, chairs, and a tv.  I was the youngest patient in the room by 10 years minimum.  Even the nurse said I looked like a baby.  I told Ryan that he did too compared to the other husbands there!  I had a dose of IV steroids and then my Taxotere over 2 hours, Cytoxan over 1 hour, and then more fluids.  For the most part it was not too bad, no major side effects during the infusions, just a little wooziness and slight headache.  The worst part was a very well loved patient getting her 10th and last chemo treatment (which is awesome and a huge accomplishment) who had literally about 30 visitors come to bring her gifts and hugs.  I was expecting a quiet, serene, spa- like environment and instead it was girlfriend central.  For any of you who know me, you can imagine me with my earphones in trying to find my happy place.  I hope my next infusions will be a little more peaceful!
After my infusion I went to the breast boutique to try on wigs.  I found one that I really like, but I am going to wait to order it until I shop tomorrow at a recommended store that has a much bigger selection.  I was very happy with how cute it was and how secure it felt.  It makes me feel much better about the process, and if you didn't know I was going through chemo, you would never know!
Tomorrow I go to the plastic surgeon for my first expander fill since my surgery!  Yeah!  I know it's going to be uncomfortable for a few days, but I am excited about it.  Right afterwards I have to go back to the oncologists for a shot called Neulasta which stimulates white blood cell production (therefore decreasing the risk of infections) since I have school-aged children and am a school nurse.  The doctor said the younger you are, the more likely you are to have bone pain from it.  Awesome.  This one is going to be a trial run.  Thank you all for your care and concern today!  I am just thrilled that I will be able to make it to my son's Christmas program tonight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment