Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day one after chemo

What a busy day!  Happily I am still feeling quite good.  I had an 8:20 am appointment with my plastic surgeon for my first expander fill.  It was more uncomfortable than I expected.  The area on my chest where they accessed the port of my expander is still numb so it was a strange and painful sensation when they put the needle in.  They added 40 cc of saline today.  I haven't been too uncomfortable, just a little sore.  I have to return for expansion every two weeks until the volume matches the other side.
After that appointment, I had to go to the oncologist for my Neulasta shot.  I was worried that it was going to be a huge shot in my hip, but it was just a small one in the back of my arm.  It still burned going in.  I have heard nasty things about the side effects, so I am really praying that I will be lucky and have minimal effects.  After that appointment I went wig shopping and found a wig very similar to my new haircut.  I also got two sleep hats, a scarf, and a buff (thanks Karen!) today in preparation.  The earliest I should start losing my hair is 12/28.  I can already feel the chemo affecting my scalp and my eyebrows with strange itching and tingling sensations.  My skin has been very sensitive too.  My legs were super restless, combined with sitting all day and taking steroids I didn't fall asleep until 1:30 am.  No wonder I crashed for a two hour nap today!

No comments:

Post a Comment