I have my breast MRI today at 11:15 am. My housekeeper comes on Tuesdays, so I leave early and head over to St. Vincent's. It was a great plan until I realize that I forgot my CD of mammogram and ultrasound pictures from last Tuesday at home. So an hour of extra driving later, it's time for my appointment. An IV is started in my right arm and my kidney function is tested for the contrast dye. The table for the test is not terribly uncomfortable. I lay face down and there are two "cupcake holders" in the table, and a massage-table like cutout for my face. Too bad I'm not here for a massage! The worst part of the test was the dye injection. It was cold and I felt it go through my whole body, I even tasted it in my mouth. The other uncomfortable feeling was the heat that gets produced from the magnets after a while. I just kept wondering how much hotter is this going to get? I have been so in awe of the technology since my diagnosis. This MRI will be taking a very detailed look at all of the breast tissue on both sides down to the chest wall and including the lymph nodes. I was told that the abnormal cells absorb the dye faster than normal cells, so a series of five pictures is taken. I should have the results in 24-48 hours.
The fun part of visiting St. Vincent's Breast Center was getting the cutest shirt that said "Fight like a Girl!" They had everything you could imagine, PJs, scrubs, sweat pants and shirts, jackets,etc and the proceeds benefit breast cancer research and prevention. You can also order things on their website at www.signifypink.com.
Back to teaching Zumba classes tonight...
No comments:
Post a Comment